January 21, 2020 - Empty Nesters Thrilled with Their Lexington Home
As baby boomers become empty nesters, many look forward to downsizing. However, when you have lived in a single family home for so long, you get used to certain luxuries—storage, a home office, extra bedrooms, and spaces to entertain. And some aspects of townhouse living really appeal to you—low maintenance-living in particular. But the saying goes, “You can’t have it all.” When we design homes, we like to answer that with, “Why not?”
Lexington buyers Terry and Dave Baker were recently featured in an excellent article on “Home Designs for Baby Boomers” in New Home Source. In the article, they share their joy at finding a home that suits their needs perfectly:
“We moved from a 5,600-square-foot single-family home to a 2,800-square-foot townhouse,” says Terry Baker, who moved into Lexington Heritage, a townhouse community by Lexington Homes in Arlington Heights, Illinois, in July 2019. “We love being in a townhouse where the yard is taken care of, so we can lock the door and go to Florida for two months.”
We love that they found just what they need at Lexington Heritage—especially because we heavily consider the desires of empty nesters, baby boomers, and those in or nearing retirement when we design townhome floorplans. A few of the things the Bakers love in their new home:
- Kitchen: Counter space, a double oven, a big pantry.
- Entertainment space: an eating area next to the family room.
- Finished lower level option, with a bar, game table, and sitting area.
- Lower level bathroom to allow guests to stay comfortably.
- Low maintenance living: yard maintained by homeowners’ association
Jeff Benach, principal at Lexington, mentions a few more things we consider in townhouse design for those who are downsizing:
- Less square footage than a single family home, but still plenty of space for a big kitchen, great room, and master suite.
- First floor den or office, since many younger boomers are still working.
- Plenty of storage, including a full basement
We are so glad the Bakers are happy with their home! We still have homes available at Lexington Heritage in Arlington Heights, including several quick move-in homes beginning at $349,900! Check out some of the quick move-in homes today!